19 March 2012

Open Source for Word Processing?


Hartiatech Document Services is my business. I author, edit and maintain all manner of documents for clients. From procedure manuals to resumes.  All in a paper based .docx format, albeit converted to .PDF format.  I use these two formats because that is what my clients expect of paper based word processed documents.
http://openclipart.org/detail/101161/page-or-document-by-docguy
Why am I telling you this? In my journey as a technical writer I have researched which application software is the best option for medium to large size word processed documents.

My answer will always be MS Word partly because I have a long history associated with this product and it is the best product on the market if you are typing text - lots of text and your client wants a paper-based product.  Clients usually have ready access to MS Word and can help edit documents.  Small businesses use MS Office - so I need to use this format.

Open Source products do not have great documentation, ongoing solid support and there is uncertainty about future maintenance, support and versions.

It has benefits, mainly that it's free!  I do use some Open Source products for other purposes which you will see in this blog!

Why don't you check out some Open Source options that may suit you?  There are Open Source versions of a variety of proprietary software: Sourceforge

No comments:

Post a Comment